Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A momentary lapse of reason

I am the room mom for Kai's class this year. I was late volunteering and it was the last job left. So, it was my duty to orgnanize this year's Halloween party. Everything was planned and ready to go...jobs delegated...confirmed...and I had to run to the store to buy the paper products (napkins, cups, plates). I make it through one store and find some of the stuff I need...making sure not to get sucked into buying anything that I didn't come for. At the 2nd store after being there for 10 minutes and buying some prizes for BINGO I see the Pumpkin sucker candy molds. I bought them to make for the kids. (I mean look at how CUTE they are!) The store where I bought them was out of the orange candy so I went to Michael's to buy some. As I was standing there, realizing that I needed to buy orange, and brown and yellow and black and then I needed someway to apply the decorations to the suckers-I WALKED AWAY. It was a moment that I could have called my therapist about! (except I don't have one) I WALKED AWAY. Kids do not care. They would be perfectly happy with tootsie pops and if I would have made 24 pumpkin suckers I would have been up all night!

This was confirmed to me as I was on the way into the school. I saw our room mom from last year and she was almost in tears. She had been up until 1:00 am hand-making and decorating 30 Halloween cupcakes for her daughter's class. (She is the room mom again this year for her daughter's class.) She walked into her classroom and another mom had gone out and spent several hundred dollars on decorations and put them up before the room mom got there. She also brought amazing cupcakes and didn't tell anyone that she was doing it. Isn't that crazy?!?!

I'm so glad that resisted the temptation! Kai's party was perfect, all the kids loved it and so did his teacher. (and so did I!)

2 comments:

Croftermom said...

With experience, comes wisdom!

Jennie said...

Ah, yes. That story sound familar. I made that mistake once and found out the hard way. My first year teaching I made these really cute reindeer candy canes which involved hot glue, googly eyes, pipe cleaners and ribbon. I WAS up all night completing those suckers. I was so excited to hand them out the next day. The first thing they all did was tear off all of the cute stuff so they could get down to the business of sucking on the candy cane. I tried to salvage a little of my work by shouting to them, "Stop! Take the reindeer home before you eat them so your parents can see!" hee hee
Lesson learned. Now I just give a candy cane...