Friday, October 19, 2007

A 'not so' glass is half full moment.

Last night our power went out. The kids were so excited and I turned very cranky very fast. If there is wind, our power always goes out. I kept having flashbacks of last year when our power was out for 4 days. (Not as long as some people.) I was lighting candles as I heard my neighbor's generator start up. (white noise) I was remembering the ridiculous outfits that we wore to keep warm, how we lit our fireplace and draped heavy tablecloths in doors to block the heat in as we lived out of the family room and kitchen with our cooler out on our back deck to store our food. Thank Goodness that it was only out for 3 hours. Why don't they bury the lines so this quits happening???!? At one point I looked over at Alex and said $10,000.00 for a generator that just kicks on and we don't know that it is kicking on? He said yes. That doesn't seem like too much money. (That is crazy!)

So... I did sit there and count my blessings all night. ("it could be worse, we could be ________________") I tried to look for the positive. I was all by myself because Alex had to prep for a meeting that he had today so I sent him away to find a Starbucks with power... I did try to find the silver lining.
but it was too dark.
(just kidding)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am glad you tried to find the positive. And remember that in those time you can have tradtions and build memories that will last a lifetime! Your kids will love you for making fun in those hard times. Love you,keep up the good work being a mom and wife!

Croftermom said...

So, you will love to hear that ours never went out. How long was yours down?

Jennie said...

I think it's okay to be grumpy about things sometime. Go easy on yourself! :)