Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A whole new world.


After wondering if she's tired, coming down with something, not getting the love that feels her little love tank...I think I need to face the truth that I have known for about a month now...

My sweet always happy darling sunshine daughter had a TEMPER TANTRUM last night. Well, not really a tantrum in the whole scheme of things. I've thrown a few (yesterday) in my day that would make hers look like the slight crease on your cheek that happens before a frown...BUT THE POINT IS....she is growing. Turning 5 next month...it's a developmental stage, I know (we still discipline but it's a normal part of growing)(and I know that behavior patterns go in "waves", some waves are harder than others!) The biggest battle is within myself-I am getting so ANGRY! I am trying to use my anger as a tool to help me to identify a situation that needs attention without lashing out reactively. (MY natural tendency.) Yesterday I didn't do such a good job. (She told me "NO" when I asked her to do something and I almost fell over!) Today I know I will do better. I'm feeling her little love tank and making sure she gets the attention that she needs and is fun for her, I'm going to count to 5 before I respond to her...and remember the funny picture in my head that I have of God with a slight crease on His cheek like the before a smile...

(and if all else fails I can call Mom and listen to her stifling a laugh when I tell her about my daughter's "temper tantrum" as she remembers some of my legendary tantrums.)

4 comments:

Croftermom said...

Oh, there was no stifle as I read this blog. Thank you! You made my evening. You have been very focused on the task at hand and I think she is feeling left out...Glad to know she can let you know that. As you mentioned, you had no problem letting us know when you needed attention!

Croftermom said...

Also remember:"You have a right to feel angry, go someplace else until you feel like being around people." Luckily she is old enough to use powers of reason.

jBO said...

Yes, I use that all the time (and it usually works to pre-emt a tantrum). She had already gone to her somepace else and was in her in room while having her temper tantrum. Kids are so different! Kai had so many more that she did...

Jennie said...

I'd like to see a tantrum. It's hard for me to imagine that cute little smiley face turning sour!

I hope you figure out how to handle the tanturms so you can teach me when Jameson gets older! :)