No offense to all of the runners that are reading this right now...but I have always thought running was boring. For the past 5 or so years I've halfway wanted to join the "running" 1/2 marathon, full marathon, triathlon craze (everyone I know is doing it). I've listened to my incredible sister in law (shout out) and heard about her group of friends, my friend Michele from SD, 1/2 of Maya's preschool moms, 3/4 of Kai's school moms, and my friend Keri and a group of my friends from church. Everybody is doing it! I tried to set a goal for the Berlin Marathon, thinking that if I trained for it, we would have to buy tickets to go there. NOTHING motivated me.
I'd never caught the bug and never understood it. I've viewed running as a means to a weight loss end (combining it with speed walking at an incline) and any prolonged attempt to run longer than my allotted 3 minutes has left me convinced that running just isn't my thing.
Lately the craziest thing has been happening to me! I'm in the middle of my last interval circuit (around the 2 mile mark) running...and I just keep running. I am not even pushing it or trying hard - I'm just running and running and running. And I start to wonder "what will happen if I just keep running?" "I wonder how long I could run for" "is this why people run?" "this is like centering...like yoga, not like beating yourself into weight loss" "I wonder how Jennie is doing" "Jameson is so cute" "today is Wendy's last official day at her job of 10 years" "mom and dad are leaving for another road trip" "Alex is so cute" "Keri run/walks for 3 miles, that is so impressive" "I wonder if Leetha worked out this morning" "I have a great idea for a new business"..."wow, I'm still running and it isn't even hard". I looked down at the treadmill and it had been a mile. CRAZY!! I finally stopped because I had to get on with my day.
Friday, August 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ha! Told you so! Running is peaceful! It lets your mind wander and there's no one there to interrupt you. I always have my best ideas when I'm running. Once you get in shape (which it sounds like you are) running is somewhat effortless and dare I say even enjoyable! :)
Post a Comment