
Check out this satellite picture of Hurricane Flossie. Those white outlined islands are the Hawaiian Islands!
I remember my first trip to Maui for Angie's wedding, we were driving with her then-fiance Shawn in his white beat up pickup with his surf boards in the back listening to the hurricane report. He (along with 1/2 the island population) was speeding gleefully toward the beach where they were predicting big waves (rare in late July!).
The first year we went to Maui as a family we had 3 days of intense wind while a hurricane came close to the island (we went to the Maui Ocean Center and almost got blown across the parking lot!) Those incidents were NO WHERE NEAR as scary as what happened to us last year..we were getting ourselves situated on the beach when the tsunami alert SIREN started going off RIGHT ABOVE OUR HEADS!!! I dropped my gear and looked at Alex - and as i was thinking, "You grab Kai and I'll grab Maya and we will run that 5000 foot hill together...do we need to carry the water in case it is all we have", a very nice looking (calm) seasoned beach veteran looked at us and said, "it's just a test. They happen the first Sunday of the month."
3 comments:
Wow, this would freak me out a little! Have fun and hopefully it go away before you get there!
You for got the part about your mom already running across the parking lot with my hands across Maya's ears as she was screaming!...and let's hope that guy isn't on the beach when a real one hits!
Scary. I've never heard that story. I hope you don't have to experience that this time on your vacation!
Post a Comment